Friday 12 April 2019

Indoor Gardens

I've been a big fan of terrariums for years; and it's taken me time to get in work their mojo successfully. But once you do get into that world of the enclosed garden, you become addicted to them very quickly; and you look for places around your home to put one.

I've got two in my house, and their in the most-used room in the house - my living room and my bedroom. And the best thing is that they're a set and forget kinda garden. 

My first one is made from Italian Glass; and they're hard to come by and very expensive in this day and age of the throw away society. And so, when you're looking for a terrarium like this, you have make sure it's properly sealed and the cork in the top is working. If not, it's good to know where to find another one. Here in Brisbane, there's only one company at Bardon (behind the Mt Coot-tha Lookout) that supplies corks for bottles. And you have to take in terrariums to be fitted. They work from a home and they're well worth the drive too! I bought mine in 2014, and ended up having lunch at the Mt Coot-tha Lookout Restaurant; and what a place to chill out at! I loved it - and it turned out to be a great day out just to buy that cork.

But when you do get your terrarium sorted out with the right plants - and not ones that flower otherwise the whole thing rots - you'll find your fascination for that thing will be big. When you're rugged up in your Winter woollies, it'll be warm, moist and raining inside that bottle, like a real rainforest does in the tropics. So long it's not in direct sunlight, the terrarium will survive perfectly.

And the history of these things goes further back than people think. A lot of people think these were invented in the 1960's; but really they just came into popularity in that decade. They were created in the mid-1800's through a scientist, Nathaniel Bagshaw Ward, who left one of his enclosed gardens unattended and one of his plants grew and threw spores. This turned out to be a great discovery about these things he had gotten built for him; as he lived a sheltered life in the UK. Well, that's what I've heard and read about. 

A lot of people are getting back into terrariums as people don't have a lot of room for outdoor gardens anymore; but they're not only sealed ones, you can have open ones as well. I don't see the point in having an open one, as to me they're just too much like pot plants. So, I'd rather have a sealed terrarium and watch it to its thing over the years... or just ignore it and it'll become its own little rainforest as I live my life around it. 

So, do you have a terrarium? If so, how big - or little - is it? Is it open or sealed? How long have you been interested in them? Until my next post, happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment