Thursday 12 May 2016

Preparations for Winter

I do love preparing for Winter in my garden. It's the one time of year when everything goes dormant and I can really get in and work on improving my little bit of dirt.

But it's not the doing up of the garden that gives me the most satisfaction, it's the gathering of the gardening gear, pots and potting mix that does. I know that sounds really strange, but making sure I have everything just right beforehand is the perfectionist in me coming out. The one thing I really hate is planning a full day at home to get in and do the gardening and find that I have to go out to the gardening store for one tiny item or other... it just puts a kink in the whole idea of getting in and doing it all in one hit.

Sometimes, when I do get in there and start on the garden, I find that there's too much to do and I happily let it go into the next day. This is fun and is something which is wonderful to use up a weekend or part of my week. 

More recently, I bought a huge pot from Bunnings which my Frangipani is going to live in for the next few years (unless I move into a more permanent place and I'll plant it into the ground and use the pot for something else). It cost me $80 and I'm darned proud of this lovely addition to my garden... now, just to get it what it needs to keep my plant happy. That's usually a couple of bags of river stones (not huge ones, and not gravel), 3 feet for the bottom (so ants don't live in it) and plenty of potting mix. 

Speaking of which, I'll be getting 2 bags a fortnight until the time comes that I'll be able to work on the garden in July... I know that sounds like some time away, but really it's not. Before long, that time will fly by and that middle weekend in July will be here! Until my next post, enjoy your wonderful gardens! 

No comments:

Post a Comment