Saturday 26 August 2017

Lawn Success - Finally

At the beginning of the month, I used a small box of lawn seed to reseed the back lawn of my place. But it didn't work out.

So, this last pay or so, I bought a bigger box and some lawn food and put it down liberally... watered in all in and watered in all every day - soaking it until it was all drenched. As the sun drew around with the coming of Spring, the grass grew; but the lawn food did burn a few spots in the yard.

I bought bird seed - just cheap old Trill. Now, before you laugh at me, and think I've fallen off my perch,  I've done this before with old Finch seed when my budgie died. I had about 3 bags of the stuff left over and didn't know what to do with it. No pet store would take it off my hands; and I didn't know anyone with a budgie or finches. And a checkout chick at Coles suggested I spread it out on the lawn; that it was trick her Dad did when he needed to lush up the lawn a bit.

I did it, and it worked out really well! So, this year, I've done it again!

Not only do I have to make sure the birds keep away from the seed, but I made sure it was watered in properly so they didn't eat it (birds hate wet bird seed)... then we had a couple of storms and some rain, and the lawn grew like you wouldn't believe! 

I mowed it with the push reel mower as it looked liked a waving sea of green at a monster length of 10cm! Okay, not all of it was cut, but most of it was. I gently raked the cut bits over the seed, and left it for the afternoon. It does look wonderful! I'm so glad it's going to be gorgeous lush and green again for Summer. Well, happy gardening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment