Sunday 27 January 2019

The New Year

It's been so dry over the past few months, I haven't thought of coming in here and writing anything.

My lawn has almost dried right out. So, every morning, really early, and every afternoon - just before sunset - I've been outside watering it hard for around 20 minutes each. Then, I'll water everything in the pots to keep everything alive.

And it's all just hanging on. 

The greenhouse is going really well, though. I've reorganised it completely so I have more space in it to grow other things. 

I've ripped out the tomatoes which grew wild when I was down the coast. And I'm trying to grow strawberries like my Pop used to - through using the skins on top of the soil.

The Greek Basil is growing so fast I've clipped it back twice already and just yesterday, I gave it another hair cut, bagged it up and gave it to one of my neighbours who love to grow things to eat. He and his girlfriend had friends over for Australia Day and were about to have something to eat for dinner - and my basil arrived just in time for their salad! How great was that? And the first thing she did was open the bag and take a big sniff! She loves the smell of the stuff. He said he missed grabbing some from my greenhouse when he was looking after my place... I said he's welcome to some herbs whenever he needed some, just knock on the door and I'd unlock the garden. 

But it's been so damned dry here in Australia, that the storms we normally have at this time of year are absent; and we're boiling instead. Temperatures are getting up to 40C and in some parts of this country, they've had past 40C for the past 40 days and beyond. It's a horrible part of our Summer - and we've yet to hit our hottest month!

So, I hope to get out into the yard when it does finally cool off. But this does indicate one thing: a boiling hot Summer shows we're in for a freezing cold Winter.

1 comment: