Wednesday 2 May 2018

Cooler Weather Afoot!

At long last, the cooler weather is here! And this means I'm able to get off my very lazy butt and work the garden.

Well, okay, in the past few weeks, I've had day surgery done at the Wesley Hospital here in Brisbane, and I'm still recovering from the knock-out stuff they gave me, but that's no excuse for me to be lazy in the garden - even with the smallest things.

But it's May, which means, I must start my collection of bags of potting mix... yes, it's a weird old thing for me to do around my place, but it's something I do. On the first week of May, I begin buying bags of potting mix so that by around mid-July, I get myself working hard in my garden to repot my garden.

While I'm buying potting mix, I'm also going to be saving up for really big pots... only around 4 or so, to pot up some Broms and a few other plants around the garden. In all honesty, I really can't wait until I move out of this townhouse complex and into a proper home where the soil is so much better. You see, the soil where I am is only good for lawn; and not much else - it's red clay and builders rubble... how disgusting is that? So, I've got a gorgeous lawn and the inability to grow anything else. 

So, it's a container garden for me right now... and if I get myself into the larger containers, I'll be able to use the biggest buggers for the herbs or bonsais in my next place - to make my place look and feel wonderful. And believe me, I won't be moving from my next place for a very long time... I'll make sure of that - yep, it's going to be a forever home.

I also bought 2 plants for my terrariums - as a few of the plants in the two I have have either died or are beginning to look a little lanky. So, I thought to strike while the iron is hot and replace - or add - to those lovely glass containers. 

Well, despite that, I have been busily working in the garden - readying it for Winter. On Tuesday, I pulled a few pots away from the border of pipe and brick and raked out the long grass and weeds and it looks so much better! I then repotted a Frangipani because it was rootbound and then spotted that my second Brom was with pup - another one! - and so I'll have my 4th one to pot up and 2 to toss out! Wow, that's going to be a lot of work to get done; and I hope I don't get all sliced up while doing it as it's a sun-loving Brom; both of them. 

So, that's what I've been up to over the last month... what about you? Have you preparing for the cooler months here in Australia? Or if you're in another country, what are you up to? Until my next post, happy gardening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment