Wednesday 27 April 2016

Welcome to My Garden

Hi there!

This is the first of hopefully many posts about gardening in a small garden. I have lived in rental properties over my whole life - never having bought a house - and so gardening with a container garden has been my only choice with how to decorate and make my garden look and feel very much my own.

It's been an idea of mine to get in here and write a gardening blog - but how and what kind was still a bit of a wonder. However, when I realised that I'm not that bad at keeping my current garden alive, I thought to give this a shot.

Container gardens aren't that difficult to start up and you can grow pretty much anything you want in them - from fruit'n'veggies and herbs to flowers, roses, palms and shade plants - the list of plants you can grow is endless. I know, as I am growing some really hardy plants in my postage stamp back yard and they really should be in the ground; however, they're pretty happy in the massive pots I've chosen for them.

And that's the first secret of planting plants that will grow big, put them into enormous pots/planters to start with and they'll be happy for their whole life. The next thing I've learned is that shade mesh is wonderful to put over the hole in the bottom of the planter, then... you use a bag of river stones on top of that for drainage.  Not only does it help the water get through, but it stops the plant from getting root rot as it lets the water drain away faster.

I've never let my plants sit in saucers - as much as they are tempting to buy for your planters, as pretty as they look because they match - I just don't put them in saucers. I let the water drain into the ground as those saucers encourage mosquitoes to your garden, there's nothing worse than not being able to go into your garden because you're going to be eaten alive those little blood-suckers. 

So, there you have it. My first three ideas for making your little garden lovely. I'll be back soon to help you out with other secrets in gardening - and they won't always be for the outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment